Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fiction/Short Story Collection: A Sudden Outburst of Cosmic Duck, by Troy Blackford

Because I edited this book, I have a pretty in depth understanding of the concepts and characters Troy was going for. In working with Troy, I also have a pretty good idea about his own character and am able to appreciate how his personality traits played out in his short stories.




Though I have not had a chance to read the final cut of the book ( I have no idea what changes Troy made without my guidance!), I do know that it is not too far off of the original. With that said, I can share with you the things I liked best about this book,hopefully, without ruining any of the plots.





I really liked the reality game show platform that Troy incorporated into 3 of his stories. It was a unique concept that played out nicely in 3 very different scenarios.



I also enjoyed the story which featured the future of self-driven cars. It was a scary portrayal of just what can happen because we are so tied to technology.



I liked the majority of the stories in this collection. The book hosts a panoply of characters ranging from the psychotic, to drunk, to determined, and more. There are stories that have Stephen King and Alfred Hitchcock like themes, and a grand finale that explains the quirky, cosmic title.



Don't judge a book by its title, judge it by its content. You may not like all of the stories in this collection, but I am sure you will find at least a couple of jewels that you'll treasure.
 
 
On a scale of 1-4, I give this book a 3. There are some great story concepts, and a lot of detail so that you know EXACTLY what Troy was thinking!
 
 
This book was independently published using http://lulu.com/
ISBN: not available
 
Thank you to Troy Blackford for the opportunity to play with his words and enjoy his stories!

0 comments: