Sunday, October 24, 2010

Children's Fiction: Do Witches Make Fishes? by Jason Mayo

Do Witches Make Fishes? This book, by Jason Mayo, tells the tale of a boy who, like so many, would rather eat candy than the fish and veggie stew his mother has served. A grave warning is issued, a hasty wish is made, and a witch appears! A difficult decision is made by the boy, and a lesson on healthy eating is learned.


I read this book with two of my daughters. As I read it, I found the rhythm and flow of the words to be pleasant. The storyline was interesting, and the artwork was colorful. I did find the ending to be a bit abrupt, and the question asked in the title "Do witches make fishes?" was never answered. However, overall, I found it to be a user friendly story to read.


When I asked my girls if they liked the book, both  said it was "O.K." Neither offered me specifics as to why they felt this way. Perhaps it was the mood they were in, or maybe the book didn't meet their expectations. Just goes to show, I don't always know what goes on in the minds of my children!


 On a scale of 1-4, including my thoughts and those of my daughters, I give this book a 3. Overall, we liked this book, but there just seemed to be a little something missing.


This book was published by AuthorHouse.
ISBN: 978-1-4520-6944-9

All proceeds from the sale of this book will be donated to Garden of Dreams. For more information, please visit http://dowitchesmakefishes.com/.

Thank you to Jason Mayo for the gift of his book.

0 comments: