Monday, October 18, 2010

Fantasy/Fiction: Dante's Journey, by JC Marino

Dante's Journey, by JC Marino, is the story of Detective Joseph Dante, a Boston police officer who has suffered the tragic loss of his family in the early 1960's. In his pursuit of justice, Joe Dante chases the man he holds responsible for the murder of his wife and children, Filippo Argenti, right into the bowels of Hell.

While searching for Argenti through the many layers of Dante's Inferno, Joe Dante finds himself learning many secrets, and having to struggle to do the right thing. Coming face to face with terrors, demons, and truths abound, Dante fights to find the justice he believes his family deserves.

I have yet to read Dante's Inferno, so I cannot speak to the accuracy of the author's claim on the back cover that Joe Dante does in fact move "through the rings of the original Dante's Inferno." However, judging this as an independent work, I feel that the descriptions of the many levels and layers of Hell, along with the symbolism, was done fairly well. I liked the way the story moved from Hell, to Joe's past, and back in order to explain the chain of events and the inter-relationships of the characters. I also liked the way the characters tied together.

There is a moment of reckoning that takes place toward the end of the book which I feel needed much more development. After all, the whole story brings us to that one point, and then, out of 366 pages, only 2 1/2 were devoted to this event. I feel that this was such a HUGE pivotal moment, that it really deserved much more attention than it received. Reading what was written, I feel that the author was rushing to get to his ending.

Overall, I liked this book and the concepts of moving a "modern" character through a classic background. The writing was done well and there were few mechanical errors. The tone was consistent and the basic storyline was good.

On a scale of 1-4, I give this book a 3. I really liked the book, but wish the "moment of truth" had been better developed.

This book was published by A Star Publish, LLC.
ISBN: 978-1-935188-09-4

Thank you JC Marino for the gift of this book.

0 comments: