Monday, September 6, 2010

Crime Thriller: Shadows Still Remain, by Peter De Jonge

Shadows Still Remain, by Peter De Jonge is a fast paced story about a female detective, Darlene O'Hara who is trying to make it into the Homicide Division. She catches a case involving a missing NYU student, and quickly learns that the girl is not really missing, but dead.

As O'Hara and her partner follow the clues, they also bump heads with the lead investigator on the case, Lowry. Because of their dislike for each other, O'Hara keeps information from Lowry and gets herself into all kinds of messy situations. All the while, an interesting and shocking case unfolds before O'Hara and she finds herself examining parts of her own past.

This book was fast paced and easy to read, for the most part. It was written in the present tense which made it a little less enjoyable for me. I found myself re-reading several sentences because the tense didn't seem to fit the flow of the story.

The character development was done really well for most of the characters, and the conclusion of the case is surprising. However, the ending of the story left a bit to be desired. After solving the murder case, O'Hara found herself obsessed with who the victim was before she was killed, but never learns the answers she wanted. Even though the lesson was that she won't always get all of the answers, I still felt like I was left hanging...just a little.

On a scale of 1-4, I give this book a 3. I liked the main characters, the storyline, and the pace. I would have preferred it to have been written in past tense, and I would have liked to have learned the answers to the questions O'Hara was trying to find.


This book was published by HarperCollins.
ISBN: 978-0-06-137354-1

1 comments:

Kate Evangelista said...

It's been a while since I've read something adult. But, interesting review. If you're ever interested in being part of my Blogger Interview series, let me know. :-)