Friday, August 12, 2011

Historical Fiction: Altamont Augie, by Richard Barager

Altamont Augie, by Richard Barager is a story that takes place in the 1960's, during civil unrest and cultural change. A young man falls into the California Aqueduct and drowns during a Rolling Stones concert in 1969, and is then forgotten to time. Another young man, Caleb Levy, three decades later decides to give a name and back-story to the unknown victim. In doing so, the reader is led on a journey through love, politics, and rock and roll, to a tear-jerking ending that is sad, yet poignant.


I enjoyed reading Altamont Augie and was able to relate to the story on a few different levels. The California locality of the story is just miles from where I live, one of the main characters in the story becomes a Marine and goes to MCRD and Camp Pendleton, as did my husband, but the most compelling part for me was the desire of Caleb Levy to learn the story of the faceless, nameless man who died decades before. My other job, aside from editing, is as a genealogical researcher (family history), where I spend my time trying to find the clues left behind by people in order to learn about them. Caleb's desire to do this for the man he named "Altamont Augie" hit home for me; the need to know more about the story behind the names and dates.

I am not really into 1960s culture, nor do I particularly enjoy politics, but the writing of this story was done in a timeless manner that allowed me to connect with the charatcers' struggles and the underlying story. I was irritated at times, hopeful at others, and saddened as well. A good book can do all of that, and this one did.

I do not know about the historical accurateness of the book, but I do know that the themes of the times are consistent, and even feel that the boot camp experience shown is consistent with what my husband has shared with me

On a scale of 1-4, I give this book a 4. It was a well written story that I was able to connect with.

This book was published by Interloper Press.
ISBN: 978-0-9830661-0-1

0 comments: