Monday, December 20, 2010

Children's Non-Fiction: Mubu & Mu-Mu; The Little Animal Doctor, by Peter Alexander

Mubu & Mu-Mu; The Little Animal Doctor, by Peter Alexander is a story based on the true life experiences of Lek Chailert, a Thai woman who is known for caring for and saving animals. In this story, we are introduced to Mubu, a 6 year old Thai girl who lives in a village near the forest. Her grandfather teaches her about herbs and animals, and one day comes home with a hurt baby gibbon. Mubu is left to take care of the gibbon, whose hand was pierced by a poachers trap. A little mischief then ensues, and the first of many stories in an upcoming series unfolds as Mubu discovers her deep love of the forest and its animals.

At the end of this story, there is information on gibbons, as well as information about the real Mubu as a girl and all grown up. This was good for follow up discussion about the book.

I read this to my almost 10 year old, and to my 5 year old. The pre-adolescent liked it, but wasn't thrilled. However, I blame that on age and interest level. My youngest, though, loved the book. When I tried to pin down what she liked best, she simply stated that she liked all of it!

My own view on the book is that it is a very sweet story of a young girl who cares deeply for a hurt animal, while her grandfather warns her not to become too attached. The writing was done fairly well for young readers to appreciate. There were a couple of patches I felt were too choppy, but overall there was good flow.

I don't believe this book should be referred to as non-fiction, because there was some anthropomorphism (personification of an animal). Mubu interpreted Mu-Mu's feelings and actions as those a human would display.  I feel that it should be deemed fiction based on real events.

Overall, this was an enjoyable bedtime read that addressed an environmental concern on a child's level. It opened up a topic for discussion, and was written well.

On a scale of 1-4, I give this book a 4. My youngest and I enjoyed this book a lot.

This book was published Trafford Publishing and is presented by Kennebec Entertainment.
ISBN: 978-1-4269-3886-3
Part of the proceeds form the sale of this book benefits the Save Elephant Foundation.

Thank you to Kennebec Entertainment, and all parties involved, for the gift of this book.

0 comments: