Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fiction: The Swan Thieves, by Elizabeth Kostova

The Swan Thieves, by Elizabeth Kostova is a classic romance, a mystery, and a historical fiction all wrapped up in one. Andrew Marlowe is a psychiatrist who is introduced to a new patient, Robert Oliver. Oliver, who is a somewhat famous painter of the times, has suffered a breakdown and has tried to attack a painting in one of New York's most esteemed museums.

While Dr. Marlowe tries to unravel the mystery that is Robert Oliver, another mystery unfolds itself in the pages of the book; a secondary story of love and romance that takes place in France in the late 1800's. All of this is set against the background of art from the Impressionists with real places and works of art being intricately woven into the story.

I experienced the first 21 chapters of this book via CD (thank you All Ears Audiobooks). This was my first experience with an audiobook, so I didn't quite know what to expect. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to experience the whole thing in audio format. I ended up checking out the hardcover from my local library and filling in my nights with the rest of the adventures of Marlowe and Oliver.

Speaking strictly about the format, I actually liked listening to the story while otherwise engaged. After getting used to the rhythm of the reader, as well as the quirks and accents, I was able to hone in on the story itself. I look forward to trying out another audiobook for those times when I need a boost to get through a workout, or when I am cleaning.

Back to the story, itself, I really enjoyed it. The writing was well done, the pictures drawn out well with words. I did feel, however, that there was a bit of overindulgence in some parts. For instance, I would have cutback on much of the narrative of Mary (an ex-lover of Robert Oliver). I did find myself skimming at parts such as these, which I try desperately not to do. At 102 chapters and 561 pages, with not every detail riveting, I hope you can understand why I may have drifted a bit.

In any case, I truly enjoyed this book. The information and back story about the art world was interesting, the intertwining of past and present was done well, and the overall resolution was satisfying. As with every story of heartbreak and mania, one can never truly understand the mysteries of the heart and mind.

On a scale of 1-4, I give this book a 3.5. A great read for most any fiction lover.

This book was published by Little, Brown and Company, a division of the Hachette Book Group.
ISBN:978-0-316-06578-8

2 comments:

Lilly@allearsaudiobooks.com said...

Loved your review! You said you stopped listening because you needed to return the book. When tackling longer books, I often listen to about 2/3 of a book and read a 1/3, sometimes alternating between listening in the car and reading at home aka, power reading.

Thought I would share a short review by AudioFile Magazine:
Five narrators weave a story that moves through several centuries as it examines the power of creativity. In soft, measured tones, Treat Williams portrays psychiatrist Andrew Marlowe, who becomes entangled with famous artist Robert Oliver after he attacks a canvas in the National Gallery of Art. Due to Oliver's silence in therapy, Marlowe seeks out the women in Oliver's life, painters all. Marlow's journey through Oliver's tortured past and present torments is seasoned by the other richly talented narrators, who tell Oliver's story of obsession and devastation, in counterpoint to his silence. Heche as Oliver's frank wife, Cottrell as his mistress, and Zimmerman and Lee as French ghosts all contribute to an exhilarating listening experience. A.W. © AudioFile 2010, Portland, Maine [Published: FEBRUARY 2010]

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

I found you on book blogs and I love your blog - I'm now following :)

I have this book checked out from the library at the moment. Its sitting on my table waiting to be read but I was hesitant as I loved The Historian so much. Your review has encouraged me to just go for it.

Sam
http://tinylibrary.blogspot.com