Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fiction: Brooklyn by Colm Toibin

Brooklyn is the story of a young woman named Eilis who lives in the town of Enniscorthy, Wexford, Ireland with her mother and sister during the 1950's. She has a hard time finding suitable work locally, so her sister makes arrangements for her to venture off to Brooklyn, New York to start a new life. While in New York she learns about the classism of Jews, Italians, "coloureds", etc, gains some education and falls in love. Tragedy hits her family and Eilis returns to Ireland where she is faced with many realizations and has to make the ultimate decision on how she wants to live her life.


I enjoyed the simple prose of this story. The plain language made it an easy read, while not losing any details. The characters in this story are colorful and interesting in their many facets, and I found myself feeling sorrow and frustration for the situations and choices that Eilis was involved in. Ultimately, I was quite happy with the way the story resolved itself.


On a scale of 1-4, I rate this book a 3. I really enjoyed it, but it is not a book I loved, or see myself revisiting in the future.


This book was published by Simon & Schuster.

0 comments: